Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
BlizzND

Street-Cam Selection - Who has a good one? May 5 2003

4 posts in this topic

Street-Cam Selection - Who has a good one? May 5 2003 at 4:13 AM Coatsy  (no login)
from IP address 61.68.131.136
Hey guys,

Bit of a quiz for the experienced out there for an inexperienced here.

Cams - what would you guys recomend for a good cam for the street. I am after a tough 351 for the street (to run on PULP), 'reasonable' fuel economy, but still up around 350hp (would love 400hp but that might be too much for a streetable combo). Some good advice I have received is to choose a cam first, then choose the rest of the engine components to fit around it.

SO.. who out there has found a good cam that would suit? What would be the recomendation - hydraulic or solid? A 5000km lash adjustment is not that big-of-a-deal, so don't worry too much about that as a limiting factor.

Any input would be appreciated.

Dan

Respond to this message   
Author Reply

Danford1
(Login danford1)
This should be a "Fun" thread May 5 2003, 5:22 AM 

With all the people here recommending different cams I hope you don't get to confused.

I would recommend a Comp Magnum 280H hydraulic came. I ran one for two years and liked it alot. It has a nice lope at idle and pulls strong to 6000 rpm.

What rear gear do you have? How heavy is the car? Are you ever going to go to the drag strip?
We'll need a lot of questions answered.

Another popular cam is the Comp Magnum 268H. Is has a lot of low and mid range power but won't give you much of a lope at idle. The 268H will idle pretty smooth.

Also a hyd/roller cam is good for the street. 

Good luck on this. It is going to be interesting reading what every one has to say on this.

Cheers.
Danford1

Respond to this message   
Coatsy
(no login)
Re: This should be a "Fun" thread May 5 2003, 9:32 AM 

Hey Danford,

Firslty, the vehicle is an XB utility, not sure if you're familiar with it if your in the states..? I little lighter than a sedan, not sure exact weight, probably somewhere around 3500lbs?

Rear gearing is a 9" 3.5, I would like to take it to the drags occasionally, but typically will be a fun regular driver.

I have looked here and COME have a 351 2V package that puts a 3700lbs, Auto-transmission, 2500 rpm Hi-stall torque converter. Exhausts dropped, 3.25:1 street axle ratio sedan in a 13.19 1/4 and 0-60mph in 4.84secs. This seems pretty much what I would like as a result becasue in a lighter ute, it should rop the car into a 12sec car, but still be relatively streetable with a claimed 15% worse city-cycle than stock and equal highway mileage. Only thing is I'm not sure of the cam details, so not much help there. The price for this set-up is also a litle rich, so I was looking for self-developed alternatives.

Thanks for the tips, and keep them coming..
Dan

Respond to this message   
xa coupe
(no login)
Re: Street-Cam Selection - Who has a good one? May 5 2003, 6:47 AM 

my humble offering is a Crane F238 mechanical ... big enough to do the job but small enough to be drivable

Respond to this message   
Brian S
(no login)
Cam supplier index May 5 2003, 7:18 AM 

Respond to this message   
Kenny
(no login)
Re: Street-Cam Selection - Who has a good one? May 5 2003, 2:27 PM 

here's a good website I found to compare some different cam's

Kenny

Respond to this message   

Don
(Login dhills)
I Just Ordered A New Cam May 5 2003, 5:40 PM 

To calm things down a tad with my motor I just ordered a Comp Cams Extreme Energy cam. It has Intake 230 @ .05 duration with .564 lift and exhaust 236 @.05 duration with .579 lift and 110 lobe seperation. This should provide an idle speed below 1K. What's really interesting is that despite the smaller duration and lift (compared to my existing Lunati cam) it increase torque 50lbs at 5,500 RPM to 504 lbs. If it works as I expect it should be smiles all the way down the street. This is a street cam not suitable for racing.

Don

Respond to this message   
glen
(no login)
street cams May 5 2003, 6:53 PM 

hey, i love the lope of the 268H. it gets better the lower you set the idle. it got over 20 mpg in a 73 torino w/2.73's. the old crane fireball 266 would run like a rabbit and get unbelievable mileage to boot. not much lope there, though. they are both "short" cams, set em and forget em.

Respond to this message   

Ben Sinclair
(Login duplox)
Moderators
agreed May 5 2003, 8:36 PM 

love my 268h... very nice low end and keeps on pushin through 5.5k

Respond to this message   
glen
(no login)
Ben, you're gonna need safety straps May 5 2003, 8:50 PM 

on the heads if you put twin altitude compensators on a 268H! that cam makes some decent cylinder pressure. please tell me you're running 6:1 compression?

Forgive me for forgetting names, but I wish to address this issue. In the archives, a pretty intelligent man described theory,  and reality testing on his version of a Cobra Jet    camshaft. His own specs, with attention to detail about spring pressures, theory connected to his reccomendations, proven in both use, and dyno testing. His cam was custom-ground by bullet Cams, down in Mississippi. Anyway, I am building a 1970 4V motor, and aside from many strength improvements, and safety improvements, this modified engine will soon sit in a A/FX suspended 1963 Ranchero. May sound like overkill,  but it is what I'm building. When the engine is together, it will be dynoed before  vehicle installation. I  will report my results. I am doing a careful, costly build using a .020" overbore on a clean virgin block. Using the original heads.  Looking/building for a 6600RPM motot; looking for about 560 HP. We'll see how close I come.

Looking forward to hearing from you more. I run a hydraulic roller custom grind and can't wait to find out where my specs parallel yours.