Sign in to follow this  
BlizzND

One piece rear main seal.

Tim Meyer posted this photo on the Facebook page, it shows the installation of the once peice rear main seal after machining the back of a Cleveland Block for its use. 

thanks for the visual Tim.

rear seal.jpg

Tim charges $75 to machine the block, it uses a 351W one piece seal.

If you are running an aftermarket stroker crank, this procedure should be included in your block prep, as some (most) aftermarket cranks are too smooth for most two peice seals, and the good Felpro 2 piece ones are becoming unubtainiaum as stocks and shelves are empty. 

Nothing additional needs to be done to the crankshaft itself, so that is a good thing. 

Is there an echo in here (in here, in here)?? ;-)

My Scat 4340 forged steel crank and a Fel-pro 2902 are doing just great, no leak, best sealing I have achieved thus far in fact.  Still, I like the one-piece idea and I would do it if I was to do it all over again (god forbid!).

Edited by rentwist

I'd like to have this done to my Cleveland but have read that the front main seal should then also be dialed in.  Supposedly, according to one post, the author stated,  "Don't be surprised if an unaltered block is way off. On two front covers from different years, I found the front main seal to be off by .030 in two planes...and those steel covers are dowel-located from the factory."  He had to make a new cover (from aluminum) to properly center the stock seal.

Since Tim Meyer does this one piece seal machining, I'd be interested in his thoughts regarding this...just trying to think it through.  Thanks in advance Tim, or anyone else who feels they are knowledgeable enough to comment. (I'm certainly not)

remove the positioning dowels from the block, set the dry / no gasket cover in place and center the seal on the crank with the balancer barrel

now examine the relationship of the dowel holes in the block to the corresponding holes in the cover

for this crude method to be more accurate the crank should be shimmed to center in the main bearings, or just factor in 1/2 you main bearing oil clearance