BlizzND

C4 Flexplate with AOD April 203

1 post in this topic

C4 Flexplate with AOD

April 25 2003 at 7:51 PM
Steve  (Login jachin72)
from IP address 67.119.173.8

Hi all,

Will my flexplate off of a C4 flare-case/panfill work with an AOD tranny? It has the larger 11 7/16" bolt pattern and 164 teeth. Oh, mated to a 351C.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
elliott
(no login)

No.

April 25 2003, 8:54 PM 

No.

You need a C6 or AOD flexplate, as running the C4 plate will shove the convertor into the front pump(thanks, you Schuck's #@$%ing morons! After they gave me the wrong flexplate, and it took out my AOD, I went back, I discovered that out of the 6 AOD flexplates they had in stock, not one was for an AOD, with 3 being GM flexplates, 3 being C4 units, and one I could not identify, and all had the same AOD part number ),a nd wipe the front pump, convertor(had to buy ANOTHER B&M holshot convertor), and your tranny out within 30 seconds....the mounting depth is more shallow for C4's, while the C6 and AOD units are the same mounting depth....I hope that was not too confusing....

Respond to this message   
Steve
(Login jachin72)

Good scoop!

April 25 2003, 9:31 PM 

Thanks,

Not confusing. I needed to know. Just bought an AOD that I will rebuild. Now I'll add a flexplate to the shopping list.

Steve

Respond to this message   
ifergusson
(Login 351lx)

I'm confused

April 25 2003, 10:23 PM 

My Ford Motorsport catalog lists 3 different flexplates that fit C-4/AOD with 164 tooth and I have used an AOD flexplate with a C-4 and didn't have any problems.Maybe some work and some don't?

Respond to this message   
Steve
(Login jachin72)

Do you have a pan-fill C4?

April 25 2003, 10:26 PM 

Mine is a pan-fill and has a larger bolt pattern than the case-fill/step case C4s.

Steve

Respond to this message   
ifergusson
(Login 351lx)

C-4 flexplate

April 25 2003, 11:09 PM 

It was a 164 tooth case fill.I had a 88 302 motor in a 78 Zephyr and I needed a 50 oz flexplate so I used an AOD one.I drove the car for 2 yrs with no problem.I checked on Summit's website for Ford flexplates and some are listed for c-4 only and others are for c-4/AOD so it doesn't make much sense.

Respond to this message   
Super Roo
(no login)

Aod flexy plate

April 26 2003, 1:46 AM 

I bought an aftermarket convertor and asked them about flexplates. I think mine was a 351 windsor 28 oz, the latest one before the 50 oz. fitted up and no problems.

Respond to this message   
elliott
(no login)

Re: Aod flexy plate

April 26 2003, 1:55 AM 

Okay....the C4 flexplate DOES have a shallower depth( sorry, I spent 3 days sorting all of this out, at different parts stores, and 2 dealers)...but, you can use an AOD flexplate in front of a C4(164 tooth). If it is an actual c4 flex plate, there has not been room on any of the tranny/engine combos, where I have tried to use a c4 plate with a C6 or AOD...I have found C6/AOD plates in a few C4 -equipped vehicles....I would be worried about using a C6/AOD flexplate in a C4 behind a big engine, as I do not see how the convertor would be fully set into the tranny(convertor splines would not be fully engaged, at least by my math...), you would get the splines and pump notches line up(rotating it by hand to set it)...OH well, I am probably being paranoid.......Who's there?!?......

Respond to this message   
Super Roo
(no login)

I went right at them..

April 26 2003, 2:03 AM 

when buying the convertor. He checked with the guy in the back. I was very skeptical. they assured me that the flexplate was okay. They knew I would throw it through there window if not! I think they knew of some problems out there.

Respond to this message   
gregaust
(no login)

C4 vs C6 FLEXPLATES

April 26 2003, 3:27 AM 

Yes you are correct,the C4 plate does sit shallower..The convertor mount face is even with the engine side of the flexplateplate..A C6 flex has the mount face for the convertor level with the backside or trans side of the flexplate.There is about a 1/4" difference..
Hence if a C6 plate is used on a c4 ,it then pushes the convertor too deep and ruins the front pump etc..
Likewise ,if a c4 plate is used on a c6 the convertor will be pulled forward and possibly not mesh properly with the input shaft/pump.

Respond to this message   
Dean
(no login)

AOD fp part#

April 26 2003, 8:33 PM 

You should use the 28oz, 164 tooth, AOD flexplate. Here is the OEM number:E0AZ-6375-A
I bought mine at NAPA. Just gave them this part number and they had it in stock.

Respond to this message   
Steve
(Login jachin72)

Thanks for all the discussion. One more question...

April 26 2003, 10:14 PM 

That's what makes this site so cool! Good discussion on just 335 series fords!!! I was hoping that I could use the flexplate I mentioned in the first post, since I just got the engine back from the machine shop, freshly balanced with a brand new balancer and flexplate. 

Will buying another flexplate throw my balance off? I don't think so, but can't hurt to ask with all of the experience here.

And oh by the way, I have a Aussie 2V headed engine and really enjoy the fencing within the "family" between the 4V and 2V folks here. Heck, you all almost have me ready to slap on the 4V quenches right now... Bottom line is, with only an EB Performer package, I was able to walk away from almost every Z28/Trans-Am here in Central California. So it doesn't really matter when it comes to going up against those outside the "family". Once I get the exhaust system figured out I will post how well my new build is pushing the '72 Chero down the road ( a much changed beast since the EB Performer package days.)

Steve

Respond to this message   
Mark
(no login)

AOD and C-6 plates are different

April 27 2003, 1:46 AM 

The AOD flexplate and the C-6 flexplate are two different plates with different offsets and should not be interchanged. The AOD flex plate for a 351 is the same as an FMX flexplate for a 351. If you have a 351 or a 28.2 oz 302, order a plate for a 1980 Crown Vic with a 351/AOD. The AOD requires a 164 tooth. So the early C-4 won't work. I am not sure if the C-4 ever had the correct offset though. The AOD is based on the FMX's design, that is why some things carried over, including flexplate design.

Mark Piechowski
70 XR-7 460 AOD
69 SS 351c 2v AOD
70 XR-7 conv 351c 4v FMX
69 Sunroof Elimiantor 351w 4v FMX
78 Bronco Ranger XLT 351m C-6
78 F-150 Ranger Lariat 460 C-6

Respond to this message   
ifergusson
(Login ifergusson)

Re: C4 Flexplate with AOD

May 7 2003, 11:00 AM 

I came across some C-4 info which showed that not all C-4's have the same depth of bellhousing and I am assuming there is a different offset on the flexplates to make up for it.This might explain why some people have been able to use AOD flexplates in their C-4's while others have not.If the AOD flexplate has the same offset as the C-4 one it will work, but otherwise it won't.

Respond to this message   
Chris Kelly
(no login)

Let's thow another Q in here - C4 behind 351M/400

May 7 2003, 11:19 AM 

What flex plate works on this setup - with the sought after big block-to-C4 bell. I'll have to be a 164 since I think those C4's behind the 351Ms are all pan fill, but what depth? Is is specific to that application or is it the C6 plate and te bell just positions the C4 in the right place. I also wonder if the converter is special or if it's a "normal" C4 type. 

I have talked briefly with JW's about the adapter housing. They indicated that they could supply a flexplate that would allow the use of the exiting converter. Probably $$$.

Respond to this message   
glen
(no login)

C4 flex and converter

May 8 2003, 1:11 AM 

any 164t C4 28oz imbalance flex should be fine, the C4 converter uses a smaller stud pattern, about 10 1/2" and the FMX, C6 use about 11 7/16". i'm not sure about AOD but i think it is 11 7/16" also. disclaimer; there is a C6 flex with the 10 1/2" pattern listed in the book i looked at, as with all things FORD there may be other oddities out there. measure twice, cut once. i have used the same flex from the FMX's i yank for the C6's i replace em with, no problems yet. the conveters are loose before the nuts snug up

Respond to this message   
Chris Kelly
(no login)

10 1/2 and 11 7/16 - when in doubt, drill it out (?)

May 8 2003, 11:11 AM 

That's what I was thinking. My current converter is a 10 1/2" model. All the 157T flex plates are 10 1/2" pattern I believe and the 164T are mostly 11 7/16". So a C4 could have either, depending on the bellhousing and flex plate. The AOD is 11 7/16" too, according to my info. Since the converter is internally balanced, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to have the appropriate plate drilled as needed. 

As you said, the most important part is the freeplay - the converter should seat completely in the pump and have 1/8~3/16" of gap to the flex plate before it's bolted up. Just enough for the studs to engage the holes, typically. My current setup with the new TCI 10" Super Street Fighter has right at .100 free play. It's close - closer than the 11" Break-a-way I took out.

I really need to go find one of those C4/351M bells. Then I can make all the @#$% measurements I want. It's hard when you race every Saturday. Hmmm - I need a "sick" day...

Respond to this message   
1221184573.JPG
Danford1
(Login danford1)

C6 to AOD flexplate and balancing

May 8 2003, 12:02 PM 

I have the "special" C6 converter and flexplate from a "Cobra Jet" package. This flexplate has the 8 converter mounting holes and it meant to be used with a specific converter , I told the converter is about 3000 rpm stall - stock Ford unit on these "special package" cars.
Anyway here is my question. I would like to swap the C6 for a built AOD with non locking converter. My engine was accurately balanced with this "special" flexplate and balancer. If I can't use this flexplate for the AOD, then how do I go about having the AOD flexplate balanced EXACTLY like this sp C6 flexplate?
I know they have to weigh the same but they also need to have the balance weight in the same spot resulting in the same balance configuration as I have now.
How do they do that? Where is it done and how can I be assured it will be done correctly?

The guy I bought this balanced short block from told me more than once to make damn sure I only use this "special" balanced flexplate to maintain the balance job. Well someday I'm going to want to change it...

Any thoughts?

Danford1

Respond to this message   
Chris Kelly
(no login)

Most good auto machine shops should be able to match them.

May 8 2003, 1:47 PM 

Our local guy charges $60 to do the flywheel only.