BlizzND

my latest design endeavor May 2003 Ben

1 post in this topic

OT : my latest design endeavor

May 9 2003 at 8:13 PM
1140398765.JPG
Ben Sinclair  (Login duplox)
from IP address 12.243.130.105

i'm just excited, have to talk to someone about this who will actually understand what i'm saying(even the teacher from the class just stands there and nods blankly when i try to explain what i'm making.. lol)..
feeling abitious, i've decided to design an entire engine.. obviously i dont have the $$ to actually make it(custom crank, rods, block, piston heads, all manifolds... eek!)
its a horizontally opposed 8 cyl, 4.125" bore by 4" stroke, making it a ~427.6/7.0L cubic inch engine.. being the arrogant little bastard that i am, i've named it the Sinclair 7.0L Twin Turbo VDH SOHC(with VVT of course.. enough acronyms for ya? how about with CTR spark plugs? haha i love acronyming everything!) anyways, on to the unique designs of it..

since i love power adders, its a twin turbo engine, as they work design-wise better than superchargers with the engine. VDH stands for Variable Deck Height.. basically, the motor is designed like air cooled engines, with the piston bores separate from the block. But instead of bolting on, they ride on 10 1" diameter steel rods. mounted on the block are 8 gears, running parallel to the deck. protruding out of each side of the gears are 1/2" fine thread studs(one bank of studs is reverse thread, for those who can understand what i'm saying lol), about 8 inches long each. these thread into the bore housings on either side of the block. the gears are connected by a chain, which is turned by a motor on the front of the engine. when the motor turns, it turns the studs, moving the bore housings in and out, varying the piston:deck clearance, raising/lowering compression. also essential to the mix is a knock detector. basically, when you tune the engine, you have to find the balance between compression/boost and timing that produces the most power.. obviously, if this was a production engine, extensive trial and error and dyno time would be used to find the perfect balance. So, the engine could be running 10:1 compression on pump gas up to say 1500rpm, and as the boost comes on, instead of retarding the timing to compensate, the engine's computer adjusts the deck height to lower compression. The way i have it set up currently, it can variate the compression between about 12.5:1 to 4.5:1 static. this way, you can still have great low end with all the compression, and yet at top end it can be running 30 psi with no detonation.. the knock detector makes sure of that.(btw top end is pretty darn high, it has 7.5" H beam rods and a 4" stroke! great oogly moogly the rod:stroke ratio! 1" wide rod journals, 1.75" dia., 1.375" wide main journals, 2.1875" dia, and the crank is held in place by a two piece block, which is cut in half horizontally, and the 'caps' which are part of the block, span the entire width and height of the block... build in windage tray too! the pin size is 1" diameter) thats about it for the engine... its got a 'reverse' cooling, as compared to most engines.. the water goes through the heads first, then into the bore housings, then out to the radiator. a flex hose will be required to compensate for the 1/2 inch of left-right movement of each bore housing/head. the heads will be your normal Hemi design(cant have any quench area, and hemis are the best open chamber..) thats about it for the engine and heads.. the trickiest part is going to be tensioning the timing chain... you need two tensioning sprockets, riding on one rod running perpendicular to the timing chain, with a spring between them to keep the tension. a single sprocket would alter the timing...then the rod has to be able to slide up and down, for the VVT! oh the moving parts will be the end of me.) the only other 'new' design i have on this engine is the sparkplugs, of all things. the sparkplugs are designed as an anti-arcing mechanism... basically, the distributor is fed a significantly less charge, like normal battery power. this would be too little to cause arcing between the wires... the sparkplugs have two positive terminals. the sparkplug wires hook up to one, and the other hooks up directly to the coil( all 8 wires would be spliced into one or two, depending on how many coils you wanna run.. i'm considering treating each bank of 4 cyls as separate engines, with their own ignition,induction, and exhaust systems(one dizzy though). the charge from the dizzy activates a mini solenoid type device in the spark plug, which slides a small copper rod foward, towards the tip of the plug. the rod rides inside of another copper tube, which is hooked to the coil terminal. the rod slides foward, making contact with another terminal, which goes to the plug's 'prongs', completing the circuit and making a spark. this way, there is no large charge travelling through the crisscrossing dizzy wires. CTR stands for Current Transfer Resistance. hehe. okay thats enough out of me, back to making this thing... expect to see some pictures within the week. I've already got the crank, rods, and block made. now workin on pistons, pins, and bore housings. thanks for reading, lemme know how absurd this all sounds!

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
1140398765.JPG
Ben Sinclair
(Login duplox)

P.S.

May 9 2003, 8:24 PM 

dont steal my idea and go sell it to some company! lol. once i get it all modeled out i think i'll apply for a patent.

Respond to this message   
Brian S
(no login)

It's all yours. n/m

May 10 2003, 12:33 AM 

n/m

Respond to this message   
Super Roo
(no login)

I can almost see..

May 10 2003, 2:07 PM 

your instructors eyes rolling around! haha