Followers 0
BlizzND

Crane Pedestal mounts may 2003

1 post in this topic

Crane Pedestal mounts

May 6 2003 at 4:32 PM
mike  (no login)
from IP address 67.80.242.57

i have a 351c 2v with roller rockers on it. no matter how i have tried to adjust these they always make a hell of a racket when they get warm. the motor is a fresh rebuild. does anyone have any suggestions on how to quiet these down? they are crane rollers. comp cams magnum 270h cam kit, springs, lifters ect.. everything in the motor is new. any help would be appriciated. thanks.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Super Roo
(no login)

Did they send you..

May 6 2003, 6:41 PM 

fast bleed lifters? Check the numbers off the box at their web site. I think they also have the number on the lifters too. Maybe mis-boxed?

Respond to this message   
mike
(no login)

?

May 7 2003, 7:50 AM 

im not sure if they are fast bleed. they came with the cam in a kit with all of the valve train components. are fast bleed lifters noisey?

Respond to this message   
mike
(no login)

high energy lifters

May 7 2003, 9:16 AM 

i just went through all of my recipts and found the cam kit p/n, then i went to comp cams website and figured out that the "high energy" lifters are what came in the kit. are these known to be noisey?

Respond to this message   
Super Roo
(no login)

High Energy..

May 7 2003, 12:12 PM 

are just stock lifters with a comp number laser etched on. Should not be noisy. They sure charge enough for them! Seems since the lifter shortage [one company ceased operation] people have been getting all sorts of lifters. Can you pull one out and get the number off one? Then call comp and see what they say.

Respond to this message   
Super Roo
(no login)

They can make noise..

May 7 2003, 12:14 PM 

if you have real low oil pressure, like less than 10 lbs.

Respond to this message   
Elliott
(no login)

Comp strikes again.....

May 7 2003, 12:54 PM 

Geeze....now I am seriously beginning to question their product quality....no, it is probably either the lifters(suffering the same noise problems here with another of Comp's high-quality products)or cam taking a dump....the noise will not go away, everyone I have spoken to(that has used Comp products) has had some problem or another with their equipment.

Elliott, another satisfired Comp customer....

Respond to this message   
mike
(no login)

good oil pressure

May 7 2003, 2:33 PM 

the motor has less than 300 miles on it, everything in there is new. i did plum in an o/p gage and there is plenty of o/p, even at idle. ive tried to adjust the valves several times and several different ways. im thinking of removing the roller rockers and putting stock back on just to see if it quiets down any. the freakin noise drives me nuts being how much time, money and how meticulous i was putting it all together. someone please help!!! lol

Respond to this message   
elliott
(no login)

The noise will not go away.

May 8 2003, 2:39 PM 

Not to sound rude, but do not waste your time, with trying stock rockers....it is not a rocker arm problem. I have personally had experience chasing down valvetrain noise in 6 Comp-equipped vehicles, ended up changing to a different manufacturer, and the noise went away, each time....I just wish I had the time and money to yank my comp xtreme 4x4 cam and lifters out, and replace them with something else...maybe even a solid, at least there would be an excuse for the rattling....

Respond to this message   
mike
(no login)

are you saying its the cam?

May 8 2003, 3:25 PM 

do you think its the cam, the cam and lifter combo, or just the lifters? like a dumb ass i mis placed my stock rockers and lifters (probally went in the garbage) so i cant just throw one or the other back in to troubleshoot. i have been thinking to replace the lifters with a different brand.

Respond to this message   
Super Roo
(no login)

Try a new set of lifters..

May 8 2003, 4:22 PM 

remember to follow same break in procedure as new cam and lifters. Do not even think of using some old lifters, or it will junk the cam. I still think you should find the number off the lifter body and call Comp first.

Respond to this message   
mike
(no login)

do you reccomend any brand?

May 8 2003, 5:25 PM 

any particular brand of lifters that are recommended over others? the lifters should be p/n 832 that came with the kit but i havent pulled on to confirm it. i did call comp a while back and all the clown there could tell me is "well you must be adjusting them wrong" they were pretty useless.

Respond to this message   
Super Roo
(no login)

There was three companys..

May 9 2003, 12:10 PM 

Stanadyne? Eaton, Johnson. Eaton quit making flat tappet lifters but may have started up due to a shortage caused from Johnson being shutdown by the federal government [tax thing?]. Not sure if someone took over the Johnson plant yet. These three companys made the cam co's lifters, the stock types, anti-pump ups and fast bleeds. With them all scratching around for supply, leads me to suspect that you may have recieved fast bleed lifters by mistake. Go to any automotive store and buy stock small block ford hydraulic lifters, nothing special, nothing fancy. I picked up a set of Stanadynes two months ago, probably the only brand available. Eaton uses a ball check in the oil system and Johnson used a metering disk. I have found the eatons to be quieter and the Johnsons made more of a slight metering tick, but nothing to make you change lifters.

Respond to this message   
Super Roo
(no login)

Lets back track a little bit..

May 8 2003, 6:11 PM 

on how you set up the valvetrain. Are the heads set up with studs? Or are they bolt down pedestal and you are shimming the pedestals? How much preload have you tried. I helped this one guy out once with a stud set up, he adjusted a hydraulic cam for valve lash like a solid, was it ever noisy!

Respond to this message   
mike
(no login)

set up....

May 9 2003, 7:22 AM 

i have the crane stud and guide plate conversion kit. first i adjusted all the valves at tdc. 0 lash then 3/4 turn down. noisey rockers... next i tried to adjust the exh as the intake was almost closed. then intake as exh was opening. same way. 0 lash then 3/4 turn. still noisey... after all of that i tried giving all rockers another 1/2 turn.. no dice... then backed all of them off 3/4 turn. no dice.... thats where im at now. does installing the stud and guide plate kit change the ratio at all?? i wouldnt think it should. all pushrods are new also. they were same size as the old ones. thanks for the responses so far! -mike

Respond to this message   
Chris Kelly
(no login)

The conversion kit does not affect the ratio

May 9 2003, 2:06 PM 

Not at all. The second adjustment method you used is correct, down 1/2~3/4 turn. I run the conversion kit and Crane rollers, springs, cam - did the same adjument on the new hydro can with the motor on the stand, installed, started and broke it in. No noise, no further adjustment necessary. I wonder if this is generic to a cam with a really fast ramp? Solids usually have that AND run a gap, but don't seem to be as noisy as what's described here.

Respond to this message   
mike
(no login)

what type of lifters do you have chris?

May 9 2003, 4:00 PM 

the cam i have isnt anything radical. it is the magnum 270H.

Respond to this message   
1069753665.JPG
Morgan Mitchell
(Login SCTbird92)

Question on Crane conversion...

May 9 2003, 5:34 PM 

What's the max on lift & spring pressure with the kit?

M

1982 Mustang GT w/T-Tops (originally 4.2L Non-HO GT)
.030 over '73 351C
'72 4bbl CC heads
Holley 600 DP
Offy 360
244/248 @.050 w/.547 I / .545 E Crower #15268
L2379F30 pistons
1 7/8 Hedman Hustler Hedders
2.5" X=Pipe
2.5" CCI mufflers
2.5" Dynomax SS Tips
C4 w/3000 stall
8.8 posi w/ 3.55's

(got used rods, now got to recon them & buy a crank kit)

Respond to this message   
Super Roo
(no login)

Be 100% sure..

May 9 2003, 12:21 PM 

it's the lifters not the rockers backing off that is causing the noise.

Respond to this message   
mike
(no login)

yep they are tight

May 9 2003, 4:01 PM 

every time i have had the covers off to adjust them the rockers have been tigh... that is what i initially thought was wrong. unfortunately it hasnt been that easy.