BlackMustang

Better oil pan gaskets?

3 posts in this topic

Hi all, first post ever. 

Been playing with Clevelands in California for a long time. Latest generation of my mustang engine uses a 393 stroker kit with a stud girdle and windage tray from FPS. The Canton pan I used with this setup contacted the studs on journal 4 and 5. I dimpled the pan to fit but still have a hunch that after tourquing there's a clearance issue. (Leaks). Since the pan is fine, I will pull it again and replace gaskets and know for sure about clearance, but I'd like different gasket choices. 

Anyone using a gasket other than Mr Gasket or Fel Pro four piece setup? 

I have just been through that saga of trying to find a one piece oil pan gasket for the Cleveland, problem is Ford didn't make Cleveland's long enough in the USA to warrant the gasket manufacturers making a one piece gasket set, the old supply and demand.

Production of Cleveland engines didn't stop here until 1984 but in all the time they made Clevelands here we still would not have made as many as over there, simply there is not a big enough market to warrant them. I always use the Fel Pro four piece but never cork gaskets.

Fel Pro sets I have access to here are rubberized cork. Canton and Mr gasket sets look like a rubber based material- is that what you're referring to? Since I figured out how to upload photos here, I thought I'd show my problem. The oil pan dings are where my trouble is. I like the canton pan but may have to go a different direction; any suggestions anyone out there? 

IMG_4469.JPG